My favourite thing to do when I’m not reading is to watch TV (I don’t get out much). I love binge watching new series and keeping up with my favourite shows weekly. I’m constantly
ordering telling my friends to watch my favourites, and thought I’d share them with you too:
- Reign – In my opinion, Reign is one of the most underrated shows on TV right now. It has only recently started airing in the UK on Netflix and I don’t think the viewing figures are great in America, which is such a shame as it’s honestly so good. Reign is a historical drama following Mary, Queen of Scots, as she adapts to life in the French Court. The show is exciting, romantic and has some supernatural elements. It’s target demographic is young women, and it’s refreshingly smart for the genre. A lot of shows aimed towards young girls patronise the audience but Reign is intelligent, fast paced and interesting. The characters are all so likeable that I love everyone (except Lola) and get embarrassingly invested in all the storylines. The cast are all great, especially Adelaide Kane and Megan Follows. The show also contains lots of amazing, well written female characters and no slut shaming! The only downside of the show is that it makes me want to wear a ballgown everywhere, which is apparently unacceptable?
- Outlander – I went into Outlander knowing basically nothing, which I think was actually for the best. I’ll give some small hints to persuade you to watch it without spoiling anything. There is: a well written Queen of a female main character, a perfect male main character, action, romance, a historic setting, beautiful Scottish scenery, amazing costumes AND SO MUCH DRAMA. You have to go watch it now!
- Teen Wolf – For a show about teenage werewolves that airs on MTV, Teen Wolf is also surprisingly smart. Again, the characters are so likeable and well written that it’s hard not to get obsessed with the show. I loved seasons 1, 2 and 3A of the show so much and still love re-watching those seasons. The show did start to go downhill after season 3, but it’s still one of my favourites. The 6th and final season is scheduled to start in November and even though I’m not as invested in the show as I once was, I still can’t wait for it to come back. Also, Isaac Lahey is an angel and one of my favourite fictional characters ever.
- The Vampire Diaries – I feel like The Vampire Diaries was so popular when it first started, but then loads of people went off it? I don’t know why, I’m still obsessed. There have definitely been some weak plots over the years but I love the characters so much that I wouldn’t be able to stop watching. The upcoming 8th season will also be the final season, which I’m heartbroken about. If you haven’t seen it yet, the first 6 seasons are on Netflix. You have until October to binge watch!
- The Originals – This is spin off to The Vampire Diaries and follows the 3 original vampires: Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah. They were some of the best villains ever on the show, and they’re just as great on The Originals. Every character is so well developed and interesting that you’ll love everyone, which is stressful since they’re always fighting each other. I don’t even think you have to be a fan of The Vampire Diaries to love The Originals, as there are only some references to the show and brief cameos. You could easily watch The Originals without knowing anything about what happened in Mystic Falls. Daniel Sharman (Isaac from Teen Wolf) also appears in the second season, so that’s reason enough to watch.
- Game of Thrones – Is there anyone left in the world who doesn’t watch Game of Thrones? Every year in Spring the show takes over my life and becomes the only thing I talk about. It genuinely stresses me out but I can’t stop watching, it’s that good. I’m so annoyed though, it’s been confirmed that filming will be starting later this year so it won’t air until Summer. Noooo.
- Brooklyn Nine Nine – I had always avoided this because I thought it would be another average sitcom, but I decided to try it last week and ended up binge watching it by the end of the week. It’s honestly hilarious and feels different from a lot of other comedy shows on air right now. The cast is so diverse and talented, literally every character is hysterical. Don’t be an idiot like me and put off watching it!
- Parks and Recreation – I watched the first 2 episodes of Parks and Rec years ago and didn’t think much of it, but after seeing so much hype on the internet I decided to finish watching it last year. I’m so glad I did. Whilst the 1st season (there’s only 6 episodes in it) wasn’t that great, it quickly became one of my favourites. There’s so much heart in the show that it instantly cheers you up and puts you in a good mood. Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope is one of my favourite female characters and deserves way more recognition for the part than she got. This scene makes me die laughing every time. Also, the entire cast is amazing: Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, Rashida Jones and Aziz Ansari.
Honourable Mentions: The Walking Dead, New Girl, The Office US, The Mindy Project, True Blood, Happy Valley, Scream Queens, War and Peace
I’m always so paranoid when I finish one of my favourites posts that I’ve left something great out, I love so many shows it’s hard to keep track! Do you watch any of the ones I’ve mentioned? What are your favourite shows?
PS: I wrote a post about my favourite book boyfriends for my friend’s blog, if you’re interested please go have a look and let me know what you think!