Before the post starts I just wanted to say I’m really sorry I missed Monday’s post, things have been really stressful lately so I haven’t had the time to read anything to review. Even though no one probably noticed I hate not posting and I was annoyed at myself for not doing so. I’m going to try and schedule some writing time in between uni and work. Hope you are all well!
A lot of the time when you read a series it’s clear that the author has put all their energy into developing the main character which is obviously very important, but I also think it’s essential that the supporting cast are just as interesting. Harry Potter is probably the series with the greatest selection of characters. From the main three to characters who are barely featured, everyone is so well written. Narrowing down your favourite Harry Potter characters is nearly impossible, but I’ve decided to attempt it:
- I’ve said it before, Hermione is the real MVP of the Harry Potter series and one of my favourite fictional characters ever. Let’s be real, Harry and Ron would be nowhere without her. She’s smart, strong, brave and kind. The brightest witch of her age really deserves more credit.
- I feel like poor Harry gets overlooked by fans a lot of the time. When Cursed Child was released I saw someone on the news say that if Harry’s your favourite character then you haven’t read the books properly, which I think is unfair. Whilst he’s not my personal favourite, he’s still one of the best fictional characters ever. I’ve read so many series where you end up hating the main character by the end of it, but I loved Harry throughout. He manages to develop well as a character, without becoming unlikable.
- I was going to say this is a controversial choice, but everyone secretly loves Draco, right?! Yes, he’s the worst in the early books but by the end of the series I think he’s one of the most sympathetic characters. Draco’s story line in Half Blood Prince is so sad, and he redeems himself when he doesn’t sell Harry, Hermione and Ron out in Deathly Hallows. I’ll also confess to shipping Dramione (don’t judge me).
- Fleur is one of my absolute favourite supporting characters across the entire series. In my opinion, she is massively underrated. Fleur is first introduced in Goblet of Fire and disappointingly, she’s treated horribly by the other female characters and is objectified by the male characters immediately. This continues throughout the rest of the series, even though Fleur proves herself to be extremely brave and selfless. She competes in the insanely dangerous Triwizard Tournament that only the most skilled students can enter, during which we find out how much she loves her little sister. She sticks by Bill Weasley when he’s bitten by Greyback and never considers leaving him once. She puts herself in danger multiple times for Harry and helps hide and nurse Harry, Ron and Hermione in the Deathly Hallows. She’s one of the most consistently brave characters in the entire series, but she’s constantly reduced to just being pretty.
- The strength of the villains make a series, and Harry Potter is full of so many great ones. I love how rather than just relying as Voldemort as the main villain, JK Rowling featured his most loyal death eaters frequently too and gave them their own characters and personalities. It makes him seem a million times more threatening when we know exactly how evil the people around him are, rather than just having boring nameless soldiers fighting with him. Bellatrix is my favourite of the Death Eaters, who else is as insane and ruthless as she is?! Casting Helena Bonham Carter to portray her in the movie was sheer genius.
- Luna is another consistently loyal friend to Harry. She believes him at times when no one else does, and stands up for him when no one else will. She’s also one of the the funniest characters in the series, as well as one of the bravest and kindest.
- I know there’s a lot of debate on the internet over who really helped and cared for Harry the most, with people tending to argue between Dumbledore, Lupin and Sirius. In my opinion, the person who looked after him the most was Mrs Weasley. Even though she already has an army of her own children to look after and could barely afford them, Harry was always welcome to live it the Burrow. She knew he had no one else so she would send him Christmas gifts and Easter eggs. Mrs Weasley treated Harry like her own son, and expected nothing in return.
- Hagrid another person who looked after Harry without expecting anything in return (except help saving several illegal animals and teaching his giant brother…so barely anything in return). Every year, Hagrid was on Harry’s side and remained loyal throughout the entire series. Who else would end up on the run for throwing a party in Harry’s honour when he’s the number 1 wanted person in the country?!
Honourable Mentions: Professor McGonagall, Dumbledore, Kreacher, Dobby, Tonks, Viktor Krum, Cedric Diggory
Who are your favourite characters from the Harry Potter series? Is there a character that you loved in the books but didn’t like in the movies, or vice versa?